Monday, December 22, 2008

Delicious Reads

Cooking was not my highest priority in 2008. I do make most meals from scratch but, working more, this year my motto has been "the meal that makes itself." We've stuck to what's simple and old favorites.

Now I'm sick of eating the same things and craving something new. So lately I've been thumbing my way through old cookbooks and some new ones too. I have these two checked out from the library and am reluctant to return them, they're so good.
I'm finding the Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper a reading pleasure, as much as a culinary one. It's chock full of facts and quotes. The book's typography is a treat, too.
Grow It Cook It is deceptively in the children's section of the library. Ha––this is one I want for myself. Each recipe shows how to grow something in the garden and then make something from it. The recipes are amazing. We tried the carrot muffins. They were fairly time-intensive but may have been the best muffins I have ever eaten. The book's illustrations and photography is well-done, with easy-to-understand recipes for kids (and grownups, too).

No comments: