Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Good Read


I have not been able to put down The Ten Year Nap, by Meg Wolitzer. The book has received a lot of press lately as it chronicles four women who have "opted out," and are analyzing their lives and life choices.

It is about love and marriage and children and choices and time. It is about the geography of the city and of suburbs and of our own homes and souls. I found it wickedly funny and smart.

The book was a surprise to me. I confess to being a little snobby about books (I studied T.S. Eliot at Oxford U as part of my lit degree) but found the book covered contemporary women's issues with both intelligence and emotional insight. It was thought provoking and emotionally compelling. Wolitzer has been compared to Jonathan Franzen (and others who can wade the rich waters of the domestic day) and she should be. The book is more than run-of-the-mill mother-lit. Its truths are universal. I couldn't help but read it on many, many levels.

If you're interested in knowing more about Wolitzer and the book, the NPR interview is a good listen.

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooh, this sounds great -- thanks for the suggestion. I have a HUGE stack of wanna-reads -- and now it's one book bigger. ;-)